Background Image for Header:
Diversity Hiring Initiative
In February 2020, the Office of the Provost launched a pilot program designed to hire and retain racial and ethnic minority faculty at West Virginia University. The Diversity Hiring Initiative, developed by the Diversity Hire Task Force, will provide up to $300,000 in funding to support new faculty hires in AY 2020-2021, with the goal of making this a sustained and long-term program.
Departments may request up to $75,000 of salary (not including fringes) for a faculty
line within their unit, with a minimum of four lines supported across the University.
Approved proposals will be funded for up to three years.
Priority review will be given to proposals submitted by April 1, 2020, for an August 2020 start date. There is a second due date of July 1, 2020, for proposals that may have a start date of January 2021.
Please refer to the following conditions before submitting a proposal.
- This funding does not apply to current/active searches and is not available to the WVU Health Sciences Center, Potomac State College or WVU Tech. However, funding may be extended to one or more of these units after the conclusion of this initial pilot program.
- In keeping with the University’s goals of diversity aligned with the teaching, research and service missions, the positions are open to all levels of the professorate; due to the R1 mission of the university, preference will be given to tenured or tenure-track positions at the assistant and associate professor rank.
- Units may hire a faculty member for a salary above $75,000, but the unit will be responsible for paying the remainder of the salary that exceeds this maximum value. Units will be responsible for subsuming the full salary of each hire beyond the initial three years of support from the Provost’s Office.
- Funds from this program cannot be used to cover start-up costs nor spousal hiring. However, the Provost’s Office will support these efforts through the normal processes.
- Hires made through this program will enable a waiver of posting, allowing for immediate, strategic recruitment with specific candidates in mind.
- Candidates must be US citizens, permanent residents, or be otherwise eligible to work in the US.
The following items will be required when submitting a proposal for consideration.
A one-page cover letter from the department chair or director that includes the following:
- A statement of need for the position (i.e. how the hire will contribute to the unit’s mission)
- An assessment of how the potential hire aligns with strategic University priorities (e.g., initiatives that help to grow enrollment, increase student retention, increase research funding and/or productivity, grow national reputation)
- A description of how this hire will improve the racial/ethnic diversity of the department and field
Complete CV of the potential hire
Mentoring and Inclusion Plan
A one-page, bulleted mentoring and inclusion plan that outlines the processes that will be used to help the new faculty member succeed long-term at WVU. This plan should include activities/support at the unit, college and University levels.
Dean’s statement, which should include the following:
- A commitment to fund the faculty member above the allotted $75,000 annual salary for the first three years, if applicable
- A commitment to fund the line in total beyond the first three years of support
- The funding source(s) to be used to do so
Below are the identified steps of the recruitment process:
- Identify a potential candidate.
- Secure candidate’s CV.
- Submit CV, to department chair/director for vetting.
- If acceptable, submit to dean for vetting, along with the proposal cover letter described above.
- If acceptable, submit the complete proposal package (required items listed above) to Vice Provost Paul Kreider.
- If approved for interview, a campus visit will be scheduled with department and dean.
Task Force Members
Members of the Diversity Hire Task Force include Tracey Beckley, Damien Clement, Mark Gavin, Keith Jackson, Paul Kreider, Melissa Latimer, Diana Martinelli, Katie Stores, and Jack Watson.