A New College
As part of an ongoing commitment to adapt and innovate amid a changing higher education landscape, WVU is merging the College of Education and Human Services and the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences to create a new college focused on helping others live healthier, happier and more fulfilling lives.
A Full Team Effort
During the summer of 2021, CEHS and CPASS leadership established nine working groups focused on moving the merger forward by reviewing data, identifying best practices and providing recommendations to leadership.
- Academic Affairs
- Enrollment Management
- Research, Centers and Community Outreach
- Promotion and Tenure
- Development, Alumni Relations and Visiting Committee
- Student, Staff and Faculty Awards, Recognition and Internationalization
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Timeline To The Future
December 2020 - Fall 2022
- President Gee presents a charge for transforming the academic enterprise at WVU.
January – April 2021
- The Office of the Provost outlines overarching goals for academic transformation and establishes three priority areas, including academic restructuring.
- Significant data-gathering efforts are underway and initial recommendations are developed.
- The Academic Advisory Committee and Deans Group review and provide feedback on preliminary restructuring process and potential growth opportunities.
- Deans are notified of any potential impact to their units related to mergers or restructuring. Deans communicate potential changes with constituents in their units
- Provost’s Office announces plans to merge the College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences and the College of Education and Human Services to create a new college.
May – August 2021
- Working groups are established.
- Working groups review data and provide preliminary recommendations to leadership on functional structure of the new college.
- Brand ideation sessions held to determine identity, vision, and values proposition for new college.
- College and school naming exercises and discussions take place.
- New name is announced. (Note: New college name will not go into effect until July 2022.)
- Search for founding dean is launched.
- Working groups review data and provide additional recommendations to leadership on functional structure of the new college.
- Founding dean selected and announced.
- Nominations and selections of other college administrators take place and are announced.
- Founding dean joins campus.
- New college officially launches in July.
- Fall semester begins under new college name and structure.
- Working groups continue to provide recommendations to leadership as needed.