Dear WVU Faculty and Instructors:
Due to the University’s transition of all course delivery to distance learning platforms, the Offices of the Provost and the University Registrar have released a revised schedule for Spring 2020 final exams. The revised schedule is for all WVU-Morgantown undergraduate courses. Beckley and Keyser campuses are not impacted.
Please note that the beginning and end dates for final exams have both changed. Originally scheduled for May 4-8, final exams are now scheduled for May 1-10. Instruction in all undergraduate courses originally scheduled for face-to-face delivery ends on April 30.The revised schedule was created to manage the load on eCampus as well as to minimize student conflicts arising from having multiple exams during the same time slot. Please review the new schedule on the WVU Registrar’s website and refer to the following details moving forward.
- Final Exams will run Friday, May 1, through Sunday, May 10.
- There will be exams scheduled on Saturdays – May 2 and May 9.
- Sunday, May 3, and Sunday, May 10, are dedicated for make-up exams only.
- Instruction in all undergraduate courses originally scheduled for face-to-face delivery ends on April 30.
- Not all courses have scheduled final exam times so they may not appear in this schedule.
- Please reach out to your students as soon as possible to notify them of the revised schedule. Central messaging also will be sent to all students via MIX and other platforms.
- Consider amending your syllabus and resending it to your students. If it is loaded on eCampus, please replace it there as well.
- It is imperative that faculty and instructors adhere to this revised schedule for their final exams, regardless of whether they are testing in eCampus or not, to minimize student testing conflicts.
- To accommodate large course sections and to distribute system load, the revised schedule includes “lockdown” timeslots every day (except Sundays) 7:30 – 10:30 p.m. eCampus will be closed to all other courses during these “lockdown” timeslots.
- An additional April 23 lockdown will occur for some math common exams from 7:30 – 10:30 p.m. eCampus will be closed to all other courses during this “lockdown” timeslot.
- Course exams that have been moved to the “lockdown” timeslots will have students with more conflicts than in the rest of the schedule. If you are teaching in those courses, reach out to your students to identify who will have a conflict and arrange for a make-up exam that works for the student. Students who cannot resolve a particular scheduling conflict with their instructors should contact their dean's office for assistance.
- If a student is unable to make up an exam on either Sunday, the faculty may schedule the make-up exam during any other regular exam slot that will work for the student, excluding the “lockdown” timeslots.
- Final grades will be due at noon on Wednesday, May 13. Grades should be available to students when processing is completed on Friday, May 15.
To help with the transition of your final exams, WVU ITS is creating an exam template for eCampus for all faculty and instructors to utilize. On Saturday, April 18, ITS will pre-load an optional exam template into every course section. The template, SPR2020FINAL, is designed to only display one question at a time to help manage system load. Instructions on using the template will be available upon instructor login to eCampus at midnight tonight.
If you have questions about this revised schedule, please consult with your department chair or dean’s office. We will continue to provide updates around any other academic affairs issues as they arise.
Thank you for your continued flexibility this semester.
WVU Office of the Provost