Challenge Ambassadors: Arif Sarwari, Chairman for Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, and Deana Morrow, Director of the School of Social Work, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
Older adult population in the U.S. have grown by 34.2% during the past decade. West Virginia ranks third in the nation with 20.5% of its population aged 65 or older. The majority of older adults in West Virginia are women, and they are at higher risk of economic insecurity compared to men.
Team #1 — Aging and Living Well - Medical Solutions
Visiting Neighbor Program (FUNDING RECIPIENT)
The “Visiting Neighbor Program will train senior citizens in sample communities to “visit” elderly neighbors to provide companionship, educate seniors on healthy lifestyle choices, and connect them to helpful resources in the community and online.
This project was allocated $116,000 by the review panel.
- Kerri Carte, Extension Agent – Family and Community Development, Extension Service
- Marc Haut, Vice Chair and Director of Clinical Research and Education, School of Medicine - Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
- Osvaldo Navia, Section Chief of Geriatric, Palliative Medicine and Hospice, RNI Medical Director and Grace Kinney Mead Endowed Chair of Geriatrics, School of Medicine
- Julie Patrick, Professor, Life-Span Development Psychologist, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
- Ubolrat Piamjariyakul, Associate Dean for Research, School of Nursing
- Laurie Theeke, Associate Professor, School of Nursing
- Mark Wihelmsen, Professor, Chief Cognitive Neurology, School of Medicine - Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
- Facilitator: Brad Grimes, Program Coordinator, WVU LGBTQ+ Center
Team #2 — Aging and Living Well - Living Solutions
WVU Center of Design for Longevity
The Living Solutions team proposed a new cross-disciplinary Center of Design for Longevity to help create a workforce interested in serving the needs of older adults in West Virginia.
This project was offered up to $10,000 in planning funding.
- Peter Butler, Director of Design and Community Development, Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture, Extension Specialist in Landscape Architecture, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
- Chris Haddix, Associate Professor of Interior Architecture and Design Studies, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
- Jascenna Haslet, Director, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, School of Public Health
- Nora McDonald, Professor Emeritus of Fashion, Dress and Merchandising, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
- Renee Nicholson, Teaching Associate Professor and Director, Programs in Multi- and Interdisciplinary Studies and Regents Bachelor of Arts, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
- Mandy Weirich, MSW Online Program Coordinator, Gerontology Program Coordinator, and Clinical Instructor, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
- Facilitator: Lauren Prinzo, Community and Economic Development Extension Specialist, WVU Extension Service