Welcome to a New Academic Year!

Dear WVU Faculty and Instructors:

Welcome back from summer break as we begin a new fall semester and academic year. It is wonderful to have our students back, too – with their energy, idealism and enthusiasm. I hope that each of you had some time over the summer months to relax, recharge and reconnect with family and friends.

This fall is bittersweet for me as I am finishing up my time at WVU. You may have seen the announcement this summer about my decision to step down as provost on September 30 and retire from the University at the end of the end of the calendar year.

I’ve been at WVU for 31 years, and I’ve had an amazing run – from assistant professor to provost and including 16 years as dean of the College of Media. I cannot speak enough about the opportunities the University has provided me – and others – to learn and grow and do meaningful work that has an impact.

However, I am now feeling the pull of personal ties. I want to spend more time with my dear husband, Bill (who is already retired), and my growing extended family. But I will always carry WVU in my heart and will continue to help where I can be of use.

This is also a time of transition, with the search for a new WVU President beginning in earnest this fall. I encourage all of you to participate in public forums and share your insights with your department chairs and deans. WVU’s next leader will help shape the future trajectory of the University during an exciting and challenging time for higher education.

Beginning October 1, Vice Provost Paul Kreider will serve as interim provost and Mark Gavin will begin his new role as vice provost. I have great confidence in their ability to lead a strong team of administrators who will help to move the University forward.

Beginning this fall, you will be seeing a lot more of Dr. Kreider, while I work behind the scenes to aid in the transition and complete projects focused on student success and the University’s land-grant mission.

I’ve gained so much during my time here, but the best part has been the opportunity to work with our talented and dedicated faculty, staff and students. It has been a privilege and a joy to serve WVU and our state.

Let’s have a great semester and school year!

Sincerely,

Reed signature
Maryanne Reed
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs