Skip to main content

Student Academic Forms

For Students Requesting Additional Attempts at a Course

Course attempt appeals for fall 2024 will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, August 16, 2024. 

A course is considered to have been attempted when a grade is recorded on the transcript. Students who have already completed two or more attempts at a course will be required to meet with their academic adviser and complete a Course Attempt Appeal Form to determine if they will be permitted an additional attempt and what, if any, performance expectations there will be in order to remain in their current major. Some academic units may also count withdrawals as a course attempt. All students who have completed three attempts at a course will be required to submit a course attempt appeal in order to register for that course again.   

The following courses will require students to meet with their adviser, submit a course attempt appeal, and agree to a performance contract after the second attempt:
  • ACCT 201
  • ACCT 202
  • BIOL 101
  • BIOL 102
  • CHEM 110
  • CHEM 115
  • CHEM 116
  • CHEM 233
  • CHEM 234
  • CS 101
  • CS 210
  • ENGL 102
  • MAE 241
  • MAE 242
  • MAE 243
  • MATH 121
  • MATH 122
  • MATH 124
  • MATH 126
  • MATH 128
  • MATH 150
  • MATH 153
  • MATH 154
  • MATH 155
  • MATH 156
  • MATH 251
  • MATH 261
  • SEP 271

The student's academic adviser, the dean of the college of the student's major, and the Provost's Office will all separately review the petition with the final decision being made by the Provost's Office. Students will receive an email with that decision from the Provost's Office and may then need to consult with their academic adviser if they are unable to continue in their current major or plan of study.

For Students Requesting an Incomplete Grade 

  • Instructors may not assign a grade of "I" without the student's agreement and an incomplete contract on file with their Dean's Office.
  • Incomplete Contracts must indicated what grade would be earned in the course in the event that the work required to fulfill the contract is not completed.
  • Contracts may be extended beyond the normal contract term with the Dean's permission.
  • Students must be notified of the final approval or rejection of the requested Incomplete.
WVU Incomplete Contract