Dear WVU Faculty:
Below is an update regarding the faculty awards under the purview of the Office of the Provost. We have revised this process to provide a more streamlined approach that we hope better aligns with faculty schedules.
The awards affected include the Benedum Distinguished Scholar awards, the Caperton Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Writing, the James and Karen Caveney Alumni Association Faculty Excellence Award, Ethel and Gerry Heebink Award for Distinguished State Service, the WVU Foundation Awards for Outstanding Teaching, Big 12 Faculty awards, and the Digital Learning Awards.
Faculty awards are one way to recognize and reward your outstanding research, teaching and service so that you feel valued and appreciated. Also, you are more competitive for external awards if you have already been deemed outstanding by your institution.
We have adjusted the application process to make it easier for the applicants, nominators and/or reviewers and to increase the number and variety of applicants for both internal and external awards. The new system for award applications includes the following changes:
- One deadline date for all applications of February 15
- Shorter applications for the awards
- All award applications uploaded in Digital Measures
The deadline for the Provost’s Office awards listed above is 11:59 p.m. February 15. No late applications will be accepted.
Applications, including the required documents, are to be uploaded to Digital Measures under "Archived Reports and Documents in Other Submissions."
- Select the current academic year.
- Select the award in the submission type: WVU Foundation Outstanding Teaching, Excellence in the Teaching of Writing, Digital Learning, Gary and Ethel Heebink Award for Distinguished State Service, Benedum Distinguished Scholar, or James and Karen Caveney Faculty Excellence.
- Upload your materials in the initial faculty submission.
The list of awards and a quick reference chart are available on the WVU Faculty website. The chart summarizes the key components of each award and is a good place to start in terms of learning about the different awards. It can also be useful for chairs, faculty evaluation committees and faculty members.
If you have additional questions about this process or the awards, please contact Melissa.Latimer@mail.wvu.edu.
We look forward to celebrating your accomplishments!